Isabelle Hutton, Technical Editor of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Reflexology
Isabelle's Ultimate charts give you concise and complete information, allowing even an untrained
person to easily understand the "map" of the human body. They help healing practitioners make wise and clear decisions
regarding the how and why of treating specific areas of the body.
- Where to work with the feet, hands and muscles and
meridians of the body.
- What organ oils to use for specific
organs on the aforementioned parts.
- The location and specific organs of each system on the body the
anatomically correct position of each body part.
Where does all this information come from?
- From formal training and eclectic studies.
- 30 years of hands on practice and teaching.
- Higher Guidance.
- From a life time of passion to help the human body to heal in a natural way.
The Significance of the Hand Placement on the Chart
- In Eastern tradition, the hands are placed above the head, arms outstretched laterally as seen in Michelangelo's drawing.
- In this position the thumb sides of the hands illustrate the medial (middle) side of the body and the 5th finger (pinkie) sides of the hands represent the lateral side of the body.
- The dorsal and plantar surfaces of the Hands are placed on the chart so that the thumbs are together in order that the medial reflexes of the body in the hands are medial on the chart and in an anatomically correct Position.
The Significance of the Feet Placement on the Chart
- In like manner, the soles of the feet are clearly marked sole, right and left on the chart as the therapist would view them when the client is in a lying or sitting position.
- Only the right foot is shown in a lateral and medial view as the reflexes in those positions are identical on the left foot map.
- At the top left hand corner of the chart, the dorsal forefeet are displayed thus completing all angles of the feet to show the multitude of reflexes of the body on the feet.
General Reflexology Information
- If an organ is in the middle of the body, it's reflexes on the feet and hands appear on both feet/hands. (i.e. pituitary hypothalamus, spine, urinary bladder, thyroid).
- If an organ is on one side of the body the reflex to it is on the foot and hand on the same side only (i.e. liver, gall bladder, spleen, appendix, ileocecal valve.
- If there are two organs, one on each side of the body, their reflexes will show on both feet/hands (i.e. kidney, urethra, eyes, ears, lungs, shoulders.
Read: Color-Coding the Systems of the Body
General Information About the "MUSCLES FOR MASSAGE" Chart
Each muscle of the human body that is available to be reached and massaged
has been illustrated individually
in a visual box of its own group... i.e. Hamstrings, Quadriceps etc.
The muscle is shown with its origin, insertion and its action, its
primary action, and if its functionally reversible. "Functionally reversible"
means that the origin and insertion of a muscle are inter-changeable.
This is noted on the chart with two turquoise asterisks. i.e.
These muscle are the Rectus Abdominus and the Scalenes. The primary action of the muscle is noted by one red asterisk.
Origin and Insertion
The muscle has a bold "0" for origin and an bold "I" for insertion on
the actual muscle with a detailed description to the side of each muscle. Having the "0" and "I" on the
muscle itself is especially
helpful for lay people who are untrained in the terms of the locations of the origins and insertions and for professional persons
who just want a quick
reference as they are doing their work.
Action of Each Muscle
- The action of each muscle is important to the professional and the lay person.
- the muscle is compromised, it is helpful to note the primary action of the muscle and extend the muscle in a gentle stretch in the opposite direction.
(Pain occurs more frequently at the point of insertion because of its mobility)
Flow or Direction of the Fiber of the Muscle
- The flow or direction of fiber of the muscle is noteworthy and clearly shown.
- Frequently the muscle is massaged in the direction of the fiber of the muscle from origin to insertion.
It may also be cross-fibered.
- The bones that provide a home for the origin or the insertion are clearly marked in bone color.
- The bones that are not associated with that particular muscle are white in color.
Muscles Disassociated with Organs/Meridians
- Some muscles are not associated with an organ or meridian. These muscle are colored the natural color of muscle reddish salmon color.
- Note the one and only heart associated muscle (a very important organ meridian) is the subscapularis. The subscapularis is colored a bright red.
Muscle/Organ I Meridian Association
- Information from the Touch for Health Discipline has been utilized. They have extensively muscle tested what organs are associated with what muscles. Thus I have brought in the same color-coding from the foot/hand reflexology charts and have colored each muscle according to the organ and system with which it is associated.
- For clarity, large colored signs denote which organ/meridian is implicated with a particular muscle.
- At a glance it can be seen which muscles need to be given attention to support a certain organ-meridian or system in the body. That can be double-checked by following the color-coding on the reflexology chart. If the reflexes to that particular organ are tender or sensitive, it may be a signal that there is congestion in the area.
This may be a red flag that this particular area needs special attention.
- The muscle, organ, meridian, and system can be further enhanced by proceeding to the body systems and essential oils chart. This chart will quickly help you pick out an Essential Oil or oils that are designated to help the situation. One need only to follow the color coding. The essential oils may be applied to the muscle,
their origin and insertion area, the meridian, the corresponding reflexes on the feet and/or hands, or the skin above the particular organ on the body.
The Traps - trapeziums muscle. If your client is feeling tension in the trapeziums muscle, the muscles for massage chart indicates that this muscle is related to the kidney, pancreas and spleen. You can refer to the
reflexology chart by color to locate the reflexes of these three organs on foot or hand to see if there is corresponding tension in those areas. Next refer to the "body systems and "essential oils" chart which will indicate the oils that can be applied to the skin area directly over the actual muscle and over the actual organ in the body. The essential oils can also be applied to the corresponding reflexes) on the feet/hands and/or meridians. All this may assist the body in its healing.
Muscles of the neck (includes major muscles of those afflicted with cervical dystonia)
The scalenes, the sternocleidomastoid, splenius capitis and splenius cervicis muscles of the anteriolateral and posterior neck are all related to the Stomach. These muscles are colored purple on the muscles for massage chart denoting they are in the digestive system with a Stomach sign near them. Relief for a neck ache may be helped by a simple application of a digestive action
Essential oils (apply Di-Gize, eucalyptus or pine to the related meridian/organ neck, and/or the stomach or stomach reflexes in the foot/hands.
These technical, specialized ultimate charts, by pure artistry are color-coded and show at a glance where
to work on the muscles of the foot and hand as well as the meridians of the body, which organs are related to corresponding foot, hand and muscle, which essential oil to use for a specific organ in the body. All the charts are anatomically correct.
The charts beautifully colored in brilliant hue, make a wonderful addition to any wall. They are informative, concise, detailed and complete. The uses of all the charts interplaying together, or separately, are numerous.
General Information About The Body Systems and Essential Oils Chart
- This chart is color coded to the Systems of the body. The Anatomical Color Key is identical to the hand foot reflexology chart and the muscles for massage chart.
- Application to each foot is the second best way of absorbing the essential oil into the body-inhalation being the first. The cells are large on the sole of the feet and are quickly absorbed. The skin on the feet is tough and less reactive to stronger oils.
- It has been stated that whatever application one uses, it takes the body two and one half minutes for the essential oil to travel throughout the body.
Other essential oil application methods:
The essential oil may be applied on the skin
a) over the actual location of the organ in the body or
b) on the skin over the muscles that relate to the specific organ.
c) in the ear acupressure points
See the Muscle for Massage Chart.
How to use the Chakra I Endocrine Key
By using an essential oil from the endocrine system (see turquoise on the body systems and essential oil chart) on a
specific organ reflex on the feet or hands that corresponds to the chakra and/or over the chakra itself, the chakra appears to balance
itself. This may be verified by muscle testing or by
pendulum. Or a sense of balance.
How to Balance the Chakras Using the Body Systems and Essential Oil Chart
- Make an offer to the Body Systems reflexology chart for essential oils to choose an oil from the Endocrine System (turquoise). Place this oil on the reflex of the organ that corresponds to particular chakra colors.
The essential oil may also be applied to the corresponding muscle.
- Use the same essential oil on the chakra itself.
- This may be verified in the following ways:
1) Muscle Testing (Kinesiology)
2) Use of the Pendulum
3) Vibration Intuition, a balanced, relaxed, "whole" feeling expressed by the recipient.
Choosing the Colors for the Charts
The Auditory and Visual Systems are closely related, physiologically. Thus they were given the color, peach, the auditory being a deeper peach color.
The Digestive System, Endocrine System and Skeletal, Brain, nervous system colors were
chosen whimsically and to gave harmonious and contrasting color to the over all charts. To present you with beautiful charts to adorn your walls that would also carry much education was the goal.
Judging from the many comments from around the world, that goal was achieved.
System is turquoise. I love this universally perfect color. Turquoise binds everything together.
The heart is so important, that it was given its own color of brilliant red.
The Lymph System is actually clear to yellowish color.
Thus this system is shown in yellow on the charts. The lymph system fights infection in the body and when the infection is in an acute state,
the area may manifest and exude a yellowish color.
Many white blood cells are combating the disease.
Respiratory System is Sky blue representing air.
Skeletal, Brain, Nervous System Magenta, a beautiful contrasting color,
and a framework for the ultimate chart, brain and nerves are the framework for the body.
The Urinary System is colored Amber, the same color of it's end product, urine
The Skin is
white as there is no specific area on the feet\hands for skin. The skin is helped by the Respiratory System, the Liver, the Kidneys and the Intestines as noted.
These charts are an orchestration of balance, cohesive knowledge and information. They form an integrative network for all healing techniques and modalities, capturing the rhythm and vitality in color and artistry of the magnificent Human Body. They are a celebration of Human Endeavor.
These charts all work synergistically together. The body heals itself.
Essential oils, healing modalities, techniques and products assist the body in its healing process. No medical claims are implied or intended. Consult your Health Care Practitioner for health projects.